GET YOUR MISSION BOOK DISPLAY TODAY!
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR CHURCHES JOINING WITH MISSION NATION TO “RAISE MISSION AWARENESS AND COMMITMENT IN CHURCHES”
MISSION NATION’S ministry is to “Give a voice to the missionaries to America,” new Americans who have come from other countries to strengthen the church. At a time when the church in America is under stress, God, in His mercy, has been sending courageous servants from other parts of the world to be His voice for the good news of Jesus. Mission Nation does this principally through the publication of biographies of the new missionaries, through video interviews posted on our website, a resources section on our website to help churches who are looking for ways to minister to refugees and immigrants and through presentations to churches, LWMLs and districts of the LCMS.
MISSION NATION is also interested in increasing a sense of mission in Christian churches. Towards that end we have begun a ministry called The Mission Book Display.
A plan to increase mission commitment using a cardboard book display placed in churches has been developed. Mission Nation Publishing is looking for a few churches to articipate in a six month pilot to learn how best to carry out this ministry.
We see three missional benefits to this strategy:
- The mission heart of the congregation will grow.
- The biographies of the missionaries will gain exposure, garnering more support for them and their mission.
- Profits from the sale of the books will go to a mission outside the congregation, spreading the church’s mission vision and involvement.
Right now we are looking for churches that would be willing to participate in a pilot to determine the best design, messaging and operation for the displays. We will learn from these churches. Our goal for the next year would be to have fifty churches using the display; in five years five hundred churches will be using the Mission Book Display. Our ultimate goal and prayer is to have 1000 churches using the Mission Book Display. We have a contact person to represent Mission Nation to the churches and help congregation represenatives.
Congregations that desire to help Mission Nation raise support for missions should be willing to:
- Identify one or more local coordinators to take responsibility for the book display (a missoin board? an LWML?): to report monthly on sales; to receive tips we have learned during the pilot; to take responsibility for the ordering, re-ordering of the books.
- Only use books published by Mission Nation for sale in the display.
- Not change the appearance of the display
- Advertise and sell the books.
- Report to Mission Nation how many books have been sold. It takes 2-3 weeks to receive books after they have been ordered.
- Identify a ministry to which proceeds from the sale of the books would be sent (the profits cannot be used for the church itself) and share stories with Mission Nation of how the mission is being blessed.
Bethany is a member of her church’s mission board. She purchased all four biographies for her five children whom she is home schooling. Bethany wrote to say, “Just wanted you to know, all of my kids are excited about the books. As soon as I arrived home yesterday, my daughter snatched one and began reading. She is riveted!” If you have a child or grandchild who loves to read, what better books could you give them?
Mary Middleton of Zion Lutheran in Ft Myers, Fl, explains the reason to donate to the book display.
We also have been developing videos to introduce the books to a congregation. Click to see all four : Video clips for Book Display